Welcome!

You have found BU's Leadership Corner. On this blog we explore the topic of leadership with our Masters of Science in Leadership community and the general public. We aim to provide quality content which will be useful to your everyday life. Leadership is not a simple subject, but through open discussion we may all advance. Explore, and let us know what you think!

Monday, February 27, 2012

How can internships prepare you for the real world? A reflection on internships and an experience at NATO

This month alumna Kathleen Machet submitted this Alumni Perspective:


No matter what kind of prior experience or exposure to an industry you have: internships prepare you for the real world. My time as an intern through BU Brussels at the US Mission to NATO in the Public Diplomacy division was rewarding on many levels. I gained a tremendous amount of insight into a dynamic and multi-cultural organization, my own government and myself. Internships open doors, and build upon the curriculum enriching the educational experience.

Joining the US Mission at NATO as an intern gave me an insight into the political and diplomatic structure and the makings of my own country; it also gave me a wide perspective on the inner workings of a global organization. I had the opportunity to work alongside diplomatic and political experts as well as military personnel and through exposure and interactions with individuals from varying backgrounds I was able to build upon the educational foundation that BU had given me. It transformed class room education into diplomacy in action.

In addition to field experience an internship builds skill sets that are essential in today’s competitive global workplace. I strengthened and applied my skills in analytical abilities communication and in time management. I learned the importance of clear communication and analytical skills. I assisted in research and messaging support on speeches, social media posts and interviews for the Ambassador which required impeccable attention to detail and analytical analysis. Communication and strategy, a critical component to all jobs must be clearly thought through and the impact of the message analyzed.  These experiences forced me to consult with experts within and outside the mission and also allowed me to try to think like an Ambassador, the target audience and my superiors. In addition, balancing work and school forces a certain dedication and schedule that made my organizational skills stronger than ever: such as in the real world these skills are crucial as young professionals learn to balance work and home life.  

Along with improving my written communication skills I benefited from having to refine my oral presentation skills from having to do briefings to high level officials, consulting with military experts on key issues for the website and creating briefing documents for the ambassador: I learned to be direct and efficient. It is essential to be able to adapt your approached to varied backgrounds in the real world. It is also important to know your audience and tailor your message.

Internships make available a mentorship structure and support system that isn’t easy to find in entry level jobs. For me I was encouraged to interact with role models on many levels from interviewing for academic related papers, attending seminars and discussions inside and outside of NATO and interacting with Washington. In addition, BU encouraged me to work with an academic mentor in an independent study that built upon my interests, academic education and real life experience. Through working with Ambassador Bettzuege I was able to reflect and build upon my experiences and interests at NATO, making for a rewarding and well-rounded experience.

We have spent a lot of effort, money and time getting our education and we owe it to ourselves to apply it and challenge ourselves every day. Having an internship has allowed me to push myself and gave me hands on learning that enhanced my education from BU. I would encourage us all to take opportunities to enrich our education and broaden our cultural interactions in our professional and everyday lives. The career of tomorrow is waiting behind an unopened door. Let an internship and BU help you open it up, if you don’t you may never know what’s behind it.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent summary of real world experience and how to successfully leverage academics with the field. Well done!

    ReplyDelete